Diana E. E. Kleiner’s Roman Architecture course is an introduction to the great buildings and engineering marvels of Rome and its empire, with an emphasis on urban planning and individual monuments and their decoration, including mural painting. While architectural developments in Rome, Pompeii, and Central Italy are highlighted, the course also provides a survey of sites and structures in what are now North Italy, Sicily, France, Spain, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, and North Africa. The lectures are illustrated with over 1,500 images, many from Professor Kleiner’s personal collection.
Open Yale Courses
The Roman Architecture Yale College course, taught on campus twice per week for 75 minutes, was recorded for Open Yale Courses in Spring 2009. The lectures are available in high definition videos or as podcasts for free.
- Learn about the OYC course, get the course materials and watch the high definition video lectures
- View the full course lectures on iTunes U
- Download Podcasts of the lectures from iTunes
- Download the video lectures from iTunes
- Watch the lectures on YouTube
Roman Architecture is a twelve-week course offered through Coursera that is based on the Open Yale Courses lectures. The course offers a Verified Certificate.